In 1845 the North Eastern Railway - NER authorised the building of a branch line from Tweedmouth on the East Coast of Northumberland to St Boswells near Kelso in the Scottish Borders. In just four years the first section to Sprouston opened in the summer of 1849. Two years later the final section of this popular commercial and passenger line opened to Kelso and St Boswells in June 1851 and so Norham Station was born!
The Station was originally intended to serve the rural communities of the Tweed Valley and transport coal, lime Stone and other minerals into Tweedmouth for distribution along the Main East Coast.
The line also proved a very useful detour route for the Main East Coast Line in times of landslides and flooding, particularly in the summer of 1948 when the Branch Line hosted the likes of the Flying Scotsman for three months due to track damage north of Tweedmouth.
Time rolled on, Norham continued as a busy, productive and important station but like thousands of other stations around the country there was a hidden agenda being formulated that would ultimately consign this and so many other stations to the history books (but that’s another story!)
Thankfully the last Station Master, Peter Short and his family had the foresight and dedication to save Norham from the scrapheap and preserve the buildings for future generations to enjoy - we just need to add some track, a steam engine, a few carriages and we’ll have a Heaven on Earth for any train enthusiast!